Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ughh The Joys of Parenthood!



There is nothing worse than having to tell your three year old that their pet has died. Dylan has has this same fish since he was 3 months old. I know it was only a fish but I thought we could get away without Dylan noticing for a while. I'm sure I should have just come out and told him but I didn't know how!


Tonight as I was cleaning the kitchen, Dylan came in and asked if he could feed his fish. I'm sure I just had this dumb look on my face because I hadn't really thought about what I was going to tell him. As I hesitated even longer Dylan gave me his mad face and said "Where is my fish??!! I want to feed my fish!!!" Still I hesitated and the only thing I could think in my head was to not say he died or that he was dead. So I started off by saying "He got sick." I just got the blank stare from Dylan. Of course he didn't know what that meant. So the only other thing I could think of was to say "He got sick and he is in heaven with Jesus." There is nothing worse than seeing his little eyes well up with tears and his little lip turn down. He just burst into tears.


I picked him up and held him for a little bit because he was still crying. He turned to me and said "I'm so sad that my fish died. I'm really mad at Jesus." What the heck do I say?!?!?! I just told him that I knew he was sad and it was okay to be mad about it. I kept trying to tell him that he was sick and he's all better now.


After snuggling a little while on my lap he was better I think. He hasn't mentioned anything else about it and is sleeping now.


How did I get stuck with the job telling him about his fish?!?!?! Isn't that a Daddy job???

No comments:

Post a Comment